Thursday, October 10, 2013

Did Jesus exist, the historical argument for the Jesus of Nazareth :: Bart Ehrman

 

Did Jesus exist, the historical argument for the Jesus of Nazareth :: Bart Ehrman


I was presently suprised with this book. It revealed two things to me. That there is a position called the m"ysticist", who doesn't believe that Jesus existed at all. That there much of what Marcus Borg brushed over, Ehrman made clearer.

For me I had never doubted that Jesus existed. So I was suprised that there are positions out there that believe Jesus never existed a "mythesists". Most of the book was spent disproving there theories.

What was more interesting was for me was, with what historical evidence we do have of Jesus what can we say about him? Ehrman uses historical method, which he goes into great depth to reveal Jesus. It is much in line with Marcus Borg. How most our tradition and interpretation is a "post" account, writen decades after the event. The post event Jesus has been turned into "Christian" Jesus as opposed to an apocalyptic Jesus as Ehrman sees him Historically. (Interestingly Borg writes that Jesus was a mystic, but also sees The writings of Jesus as post interpretation)

 

One of the things that fascinated me with the book is that Ehrman is an agnostic. I would probably be interested in his journey from been an evangelical to an Agnostic. I thought throughout that he gave a very balance view at times defending Christian theologians interpretation.

4/5

No comments: