Thursday, May 2, 2013

Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Fer

 

There is no doubt in my mind that Jonathan Safran Foer, is one of of the better writers of fiction going round. So when I saw the book Eating Animals I thought I'd give it a go.

Much of the content of the book I knew of already. I'd seen the documentary "Food Inc", it disturbed me. I once vistied a mate on a broiler farm that disturbed me. This book disturbed me. The Factory method of farming is wrong, there is no doubt. The creating of 'Frankenstein' poultry and pigs that would now not survive on a farm of 50 years ago. The totally poor treatment and misery these of these animals convinces me that this is now how God would wish us to treat his creation. The list goes on to environmental impact, to the use of labour especially in the US of illegal immigrants and those who are in no financial place to speak up abut the conditions of where they work. It's just wrong.

I suppose the challenge for me was in a Wendell Berry quote

Urban conservationists may feel entitled to be unconcerned about food production because they are not farmers. But they can't be let off so easily, for they are all farming by proxy.

Wendell Berry

I have been a vegetarian, but with our youngest her health has improved with increase of meat in her diet. It's just easy for us all to eat the same. Lazy I know. The issue for us is paying for what meat is worth. It means paying more as well as travelling a distance to get it. Also not just free range, but organic. (Free range is a term which has been and is fudged). So yes If I do eat meat I want an animal that has lived a good live that when it goes to slaughter it is done pain free with as little trauma as possible.

Damn Foer is a good writer...

4/5

No comments: