Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Eat Pray Love, by Eliszabeth Gilbert

I've just started on Eat Pray and Love, and in the third chapter. The main character writes about her understanding of God and Christianity::

"Culturally, though not theologically, I'm a Christian. I was born a Protestant of the white Anglao-Saxon persuasion. And while I do love the great teacher of peace who was called Jesus, and while I do reserve the right to ask myself in certain trying situations what indeed He would do, I can't swallow that one fixed rule of Christianity insisting that Christi is the only path to God. Strictly speaking then, I cannot call myself a Christian"

I think this is pretty much spot on for the majority of white Anglo-Saxon's. It could easily be a definition for those in the 'Post Church' category. It is one of the huge hurdles which is getting wider which Christianity main denominations need to face.

 

No comments: