Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bicycle Diaries :: David Byrne

Reading David Byrnes (ex lead singer of Talking Heads) bicycling diaries and the chapter when he went outback::

For sone, reason examining the ant mound, I break down and begin crying, inexplicable. I suspect that the desolate landscape and weird geography I've been passing through might have triggered something deeply personal - but I don't know what. In the end the tears are cathartic, though I don't know why, or what exactly might have been sorted out.

I don't think this is a unusual experience. I've been to those places and felt it; the Pink lakes, Alice Springs, and Flinders Ranges: all have a remoteness, a sense of how insignificant you are yet connected at the same time. It is as if a deep movement of the Spirit within.

No comments: