Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Flinders Ranges, and 4wd's (Part 3)

It seemed to me that on the trip the most numerous were those who owned whopping big four wheel drives. It was great listening to them, as you chatted around a camp kitchen or they set up camp next to yourself. The stories which they spoke about were often dirt tracks and magnificent views. Escaping a normal life for a few month or years.

What amused me was when I asked what sort of mileage they get. It was anything from 14 to 20 litres per 100km depending on what they towed. I'd say the benchmark for 4wd's was the toyota prada, then followed by the mitsubishi triton. Its pretty staggering when you think that fuel is a lot dearer away from capital cities. If you went around australia you would be up for thousands of dollars.

I felt very happy with our little set up. The volkswagen golf managed 5.7 litres per 100km towing our podtrailer. Very good. for our tip of about 3200km we only filled up three times.

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted anything a bit more rougher, I would do what a couple of New Zealanders were doing. Cycling with the paniers on the sides and trailer on the back. It looked a much kinder and respectful to the environment. It looked as you'd see more. That the type of camping involved would be closer to land you were exploring. As opposed to a lot of 4 and caravans which look as if they have as many creature comforts as they left behind with a permenant home.

No comments: