Friday, August 20, 2010

Why go down a liberal track?

I have decided that there are aspects in my faith that I call 'schizophrenic'. There are times I can affirm an evangelical theologians and other times I can affirm liberal theologians. While strangely I don't feel as if my faith waivers, only maybe the 'literal' aspect of the stories but that is about it.

I've writen this before but I really afirm Jesus two commandments. Mathew 22:36-39

 36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c]
Having a liberal persuasion you can affirm both these two commandments with more freedom.
For me their is an intellectual aspect which affirms the searching deeper for God, even if this takes you to place which questions aspects of your belief and values. This is seen in the first command.
The second command makes it easier to love the gay couple that moved in next door.
The evangelical, fundamental position has clauses with Jesus Great commandment usually associated with objections from the Old Testament and Paul.  These clauses usually doesn't account for culture, time, place or a Christological position (Eg Jesus didn't comment).

For me Churches which accept the  liberal position, there is a wide breadth of position in which I can have my schizophrenic positions yet still feel safe. Its homely position.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: