Thursday, January 21, 2010

The 'Love Song'

Interesting 'Magnificent', from the latest U2 album has been haunting me.

Magnificent
I was born, I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice from the womb
My first cry, it was a joyful noise, oh, oh
It has the same themes as Nick Caves lecture he gave on the 'Love Song'

The Secret Life Of The Love Song & The Flesh Made Word: Two Lectures By Nick Cave


'The love song is perhaps the truest and most distinctive human gift for recognizing God and a gift that God himself needs. God gave us this gift in order that we speak and sing Him alive because God lives within communication.'

It is as if Nick, has written the answer to why Bono has written 'Magnificent', why it is a great 'Love Song'. Although I think for Nick it maybe a bit blatant, to obvious.
I wonder what we would get if Nick Cave collaborated with Brian Eno..... 

No comments: