Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pluralism

I'm currently reading a book by Eugene Peterson 'Christ plays in 1000 places'. I have in the process noticed a shift in myself.
Peterson makes a number of references of how the bible is the place of objectivity in all things; this is not an exact quote. Whenever I hear this type of reference in the Bible there is something deep down which makes me cringe. I'm not sure what it is that makes me cringe but I do know that there has been deep shifts. The Bible is very important to me, it is something that I aspire to read most days. The meta themes through out the Bible are those which I try to see in life. Beauty, Love, Justice, Mercy, Redemption, Grace. The narratives, poetry and other genres make for everlasting reading.
Yet I find it hard to not look around at creation and other cultures and not see these meta themes mentioned. I'm totally convinced of the person of Jesus and what happened upon the cross. Yet when it comes to other cultures where his named is shunned, I still believe he has an influence. That the meta themes could and are played out; even though perhaps in ignorance. Still ultimately through the work of Jesus. (Romans 8:34 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.)
So what about the book 'Christ Plays in 10000 places', and Petersons reference to the ultimate authority of the bible. Well I'm not sure, I know that I'm uneasy with that type of language these days...

No comments: