Thursday, October 13, 2011

Steve Jobs



I can remember in the early 80's a friend of mine got an Apple IIe. Over at his house I remember reading the manual. It had an introduction to the company Apple, of its humble beginnings in a garage. It was the first time I had heard of the name Steve Jobs. From the 80's, 90's 00's and this decade I'd tracked with Steve Job.
My thoughts on the man ebbed and flowed. I liked his products but as a man he drove me to Linux (for a year or so until I got sick of tinkering to get things going). I had read  Icon and found like most people of brilliance he was complex with conflicting values and ways of going about things. (Interestingly Job's banned the books publishers John Wiley & Sons from any apple store!)

For example the whole idea of Jobs having an alignment with Buddhism yet reject philanthropy (at least publicly) is one puzzling aspect in his life.

His office dummy spits and his humiliation of staff are legendary. I can imagine other CEO's going of there rocker but still; its no excuse not to treat others with dignity.

There is almost a messianic language which for the last week has been associated with name; I'm sure that for the next couple of major apple releases his name will be dragged out...

Never the less, its  is always sad to see someone die, when if they had lived a full life, would still have a lot to offer. I'm looking forward to reading his official biography by Walter Isaacson, where I hope a lot of the negative stuff that has haunted him will be at least acknowledged. It will be interesting some of Jobs reflections knowing that death is just around the corner...



No comments: