Thursday, October 20, 2011

Jesus the Teacher within, Laurence Freeman.

This was a difficult book for me to read. I thought I was going to read the standard Christian theology. Yet as I was ploughing my way through, it was if I was reading a completely different genre. There where words which I was unsure of there meaning in the context of Christianity. Words such as 'ego', 'self', words which seemed more at home with psychology text book than Christian writings.
The book ultimately asks the reader one question. "Who do you think I am?", the same question which Jesus asked Peter, his disciple. It is a question which is explored in depth in the book probing us for the answer to the question.
I came to the conclusion that it is not so much the answer to the question but the process which gives the reader an inkling to the answer. The following, responding, the listening to Jesus which points us to that answer.
One of the aspects of the book which I really appreciated and I don't know if it was deliberate was that the Freeman wrote as if the reader may not necessary ascribe to Christianity. I think most Christian books assume to much of the reader. In the search for "who you think Jesus is", even if you are not a Christian there maybe spiritual enlightenment on the way.
Lawrence Freeman is a Benedictine monk and director of 'World community for Christian meditation'. This shines through in the book. Meditation, space and contemplation are often written and referred to in the book as a method of entering the question of 'Who Jesus is'. I found myself wanting to experience and develop this type of space in my life as I read. A way in which to draw closer to Jesus of which I really haven't experienced or even given time.
I will be reading more of Lawrence Freeman.

No comments: