Saturday, October 22, 2011

Adrian Mole, The Prostate Years by Sue Townsend

Adrian Mole, The Prostate Years by Sue Townsend

[Warning review does contain spoilers]

It is strange to write, but I feel like Adrian Mole is almost a brother. I've been tracking with him since his first book came out 'Adrian Mole' ages 13 and 3/4. Adrian if the story is right, was born in 1967 so he is a bit older than me. Many of the crisis which occur through teen age years, young adult are mirrored in my own life. So Adrian Mole has a special place for me in a literary sense.
Adrian is now in middle age and but unlike myself has a bit of collateral damage from his past. Broken relationships, poor health, broke, three children to three different mothers....
His life after 'Weapons of mass destructions' has slowly once again started to spiral out of control. His marriage to 'Daisy' while initially happy falters. The book shop where he works is loosing money and looks as if it will fail. His personal health is poor with prostate problems.
Yet there are stalwarts in his life. Pauline Mole his mother, his father George, Nigel his best friend, Glenn Bott-Mole his son who I get the impression Adrian is quite proud off. Mr Carton-Hayes owner of the book shop the father Adrian always wished he had. And lastly Pandora Braithwaite his first flame in the first book who he has always loved.
The thing that I liked about this last book was the redeeming theme. Near the end of the book Adrian appears to be at his lowest. His wife 'Daisy' has left him for another man taking with her his daughter, his hair is falling out with chemotherapy, he is weak and exhausted.
Yet Adrian becomes friends with a person who he previously he couldn't stand. 'Bernard' a drunk who used to work occasionally at the book shop. Bernard came over for Christmas because he had no where else to go and ended up staying; becaming Adrain's biggest support. Adrain started to see potential in the piggery and started investing in making it productive (Ah this is something that I can relate to). News he is to become a grandfather. That Pandora was still in the picture after all these years.
I gave the book 5/5 but then I'm bias, I feel like Adrian is part of the family.

No comments: