Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jesus and Sexuality

It was with Elton Johns comments about Jesus which got me thinking about this one. As reported in the Herald Sun.

"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. "On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving.

Well the truth is we don't know much about Jesus own sexuality. Eltons argument unfortunmately comes from the silence. There is no evidence that he had a sexual relationship with anyone male or female.

I think the closest we get is in Luke 7:38

38And standing behind Him at His feet weeping, she began to wet His feet with [her] tears; and she wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed His feet [affectionately] and anointed them with the ointment (perfume).

I made the brash comment to Christina that this sounded erotic. Where she corrected me and said 'sensual'. As a man I would have found this pretty big turn on. Though it would be interesting if it was also one of Jesus temptations which he resisted. Again an argument from the silence.

I do think that Elton was correct when he said "he understood human problems" Maybe this was why he left without saying anything about the issue of homosexuality...